Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Born to Run

I finished yet another book today; Christopher McDougall's Born to Run . To anyone who has known me for some time, you will understand the magnitude of me reading a book for pleasure. This one makes it my fourth in two months. Who knew reading could be so compelling! It's the slow drip IV version of the television. Wonderful entertainment.
Born to Run is a nationally accalimed best seller, but this doesn't always mean a person is going to like it. Take The Kite Runner for example. I couldn't even finish 20 pages before I was wholistically uninterested. Anyway, the book was wonderful. The author tells the story of the development of American ultra running and parallels that with the rich running history of a Mexican tribe known as the Tarahumara. Having read this, I am definitely inclined to question my eating habits, run more, and how Michael Hickman's life story sounded as if it could be my own. Strange how insightful and thought-provoking reading can be.

1 comment:

Alana said...

i loved kite runner but it all depends on what you like. you never know if a book is your style until you start reading it. what sucks is that it seems like more often than not i'm disappointed by a book i thought i'd like than surprised by one i didn't think i would get into. there are so few fiction books that catch my eye these days that i've started delving into nonfiction.